Group Treatment Program for Children Exposed to Violence Against Women
This is a therapeutic group program for children 6 to 16 years of age. The purpose of the program is to provide children with the opportunity to process and to understand the abuse, power and control they were exposed to so they feel supported, believed and safe. The program provides support to the mothers and helps them understand their children’s perspective.
If you want to know more about how this group helps children:
- Identify and express emotions surrounding the abuse and their parents’ separation;
- Learn to recognize and to express feelings such as shame, fear, guilt and/or loss and to understand that feelings are very important;
- Deal with feelings constructively;
- Dispel the deconstructive myths regarding abuse, male/female roles and relationships;
- Understand fully who is responsible for the abuse;
- Learn positive conflict resolution strategies;
- Talk about their experiences in a safe and caring environment;
- Develop safety plans in the event of a further threat;
- Help children to make safe choices for their own personal protection.
Children between the ages of 6 and 16 years of age who have been exposed to any form of abuse and/or power and control towards their mother and who is no longer living in an abusive environment is eligible for the program at no cost.
Financial assistance may be available for childcare and transportation